Teachers Life is pleased to announce the 2021 award recipients for the Teachers Life Scholarship and Bursary program. The 2021 program is made up of four awards: The J.F. Allen Scholarship Award, Teachers Life Bursary Award, Hall & Hall Education Award and Young Entrepreneur Award.
The J.F. Allen Scholarship was given to four students who met the application criteria of academic excellence and commitment to extracurricular activities. This year we implemented a new selection process for recipients of the scholarship and bursaries and drew winners at random from a pool of qualified candidates.
2021 J.F. Allen Scholarship Recipients
- Cassia Lavoie, child of Adele Ramcharan a teacher in the Greater Essex District School Board.
- Cedar MacTavish, child of a Teachers Life policyholder.
- Benjamin Shaolian, child of David Shaolian a teacher in the Toronto District School Board.
- Sridhar Sharma, child of Seema Sharma a teacher in the Toronto District School Board.
In addition to our scholarships, Teachers Life grants six Teachers Life Bursary Awards. Recipients are chosen through a random draw based on obtaining academic and extracurricular activity criteria. The bursaries were divided evenly between students heading to university and to college.
2021 Teachers Life Bursary Recipients
- Nami Bhandal, child of Dania Bhandal a teacher in the Peel District School Board.
- Jonas Irwin, child of Elaine Irwin a teacher in the Peel District School Board.
- Jordan Lau, child of James Lau a teacher in the Toronto District School Board.
- Evan Milencoff, grandchild of Betty Milencoff a Teachers Life policyholder.
- Madeline Wong, child of Shelley Wong a teacher in the Peel District School Board.
- The child of a teacher in the Greater Essex District School Board (name redacted).
The Hall & Hall Education Award is offered to one individual who is pursuing a degree in a Faculty of Education program. The recipient of the award was selected by our scholarship committee and exemplifies excellence in their academic achievements and commitment to their community.
2021 Hall & Hall Education Award Recipient
- Andrea Chang, child of Marlene Chang a teacher in the Toronto District School Board.
New in 2021, the Young Entrepreneur Award was created to encourage the entrepreneurial spirit of young Canadians. Our scholarship committee selected a budding businessperson between the ages of 14 (Grade 9) – 25 years who had an idea for a socially responsible product or service to receive a one-time $2000 grant to take the idea to the next level.
2021 Young Entrepreneur Award Recipient
- Mia Soriano, child of Amanda Drover-Soriano a teacher in the Toronto District School Board.
The scholarships and bursaries are available to Teachers Life members’ children and grandchildren, more details about the application process for the scholarships and bursaries can be found at teacherslife.com/awards/.